Sunday, January 24, 2010

Does having a bath or a shower add more value to your house?

I have a bath tub with a shower inside of it... but i was wondering if i just get a shower cubicle instead of a bath tub will that decrease the value of my house? or increase or stay the same?Does having a bath or a shower add more value to your house?
I disagree that it doesn't matter whether you go from a tub to a shower. A bathroom with a sink, toilet, and shower is considered a 3/4 bath. A bathroom with a sink, toilet, and tub is considered a full bath. If a potential buyer likes having a tub then they might rule out your house if your switch to a shower. If you leave the tub however, you don't alienate the person who likes to shower but really doesn't care about a tub. Of course the point is moot if you're not planning on selling your house.Does having a bath or a shower add more value to your house?
If it is the only bath, I would keep the shower/bath combo. People with kids need a bathtub. If it is not then it is really up to you. Most master suite baths have both a shower and garden tub and people expect that so you should have both there. Other than the master, baths have to be useful for people with families. If you don't have family friendly baths in other than the master it could decrease the value of your home. The only bath we had a shower only was in a finished basement as we felt a tub was unnecessary for that more limited use bathroom.
When my house was appraised, my one bathroom with large shower but no tub was considered a full bath...when I questioned this, I was told that now this was accepted as a full bath and it makes no difference whether there is a tub or shower. What adds value I was told was a separate bath and shower. I guess times are changing.


The way I look at it, if you have to live there, then put in what you want to live with and do not worry about it unless you are planning to sell when your reno is completed. I custom built my home for me and my family now, not for anyone I plan on selling to later on.
As one poster said, a shower, sink and toilet is a 3/4 bath. I bought my house with three 3/4, bathrooms - not a tub anywhere. I had a little one at the time. Missed the tub-then! I ended up just using a big wash tub inside of one of the really wide shower stalls. I didn't have to use it for long.





I want want of those real wide deep tubs. Because the little normal size tubs aren't really good for anything but bathing children, I don't miss those. If you have the option of putting in a deep wide tub and a shower head then I would do that. Double bonus that way. Otherwise, go for an updated shower stall.
your house value would remain the same, as you would still have a full bath. A full bath is a shower or a tub, along with the toilet and sink. A half bath is a toilet and sink only. Obviously a full bath has more value then a half bath.
If it's the only full bathroom in the house keep the tub. If it's the master bath then go for a shower.


People with kids need a tub.


It won't increase or decrease the price but will decrease who looks at it when selling.
If that is the only bath in your home, I wouldnt get rid of it. A prospective buyer would prob. want at least 1 full bath!

No comments:

Post a Comment