Monday, January 18, 2010

How do I repair a acrylic bath\shower ?

I'm doing a remodel and installed a new shower surround. It is made of fiberglass reinforced acrylic. While I was installing the drain and vent stack a little PVC primer\cleaner splashed on the tub. I did not notice at the time and the primer melted several little holes in the acrylic. To make it worse I was using ABS primer and it turned the little holes black on a white tub. The holes aren't huge maybe 1\64 of an inch deep and 1\16 around but they cover an area of about a square foot. The tub is a Kohler sonata and the holes are right on the front at eye level. I need an invisible fix, maybe where I could buy a repair kit or some old plumbers trickHow do I repair a acrylic bath\shower ?
The invisible thing would worry me if I were to do this myself.





The only thing I can add to what the 1st answerer said is I would check at a plumbing supply house too. I have repaired tubs before and I can be a little intimidating but can be done. One important thing too is if there is a date on the repair kit make sure it is a resent date. We have run into older kits that some of the chemicals were drying up.





There are plenty of small business's that do the fiber glass repair too. They will match the color and well they are trained to do near perfect jobs. If your wanting invisible I would consider this option.


I am a 56 year old plumber and there isn't any tricks for invisible fix in your case if you never have done the repair before.


SORRY But good luckHow do I repair a acrylic bath\shower ?
Lowe's sells a products by Elmer's for shower surround repair (at least they do near me). I believe it comes in a variety of forms, and isn't terribly expensive. I've never used or carried the product but a good Lowe's team member should be able to give you specifics about the product.





Check Home Depot as well, they may have a version also, though I've never specifically looked.

No comments:

Post a Comment